2/20/12 Workout: Feeling like a Bad Ass
Week one of training for the Warrior Dash has officially started. Last week we kind of started, but since its Monday and the beginning of a new week, we’ll call this the official start date. Since the Warrior Dash involves more than just running, strength training had to be incorporated into the routine. This is what our days will look like over the next couple weeks:
- Monday: upper body exercises, plyos, core
- Tuesday: interval running, lower body exercises
- Wednesday: rest
- Thursday: interval running, full body exercises
- Friday: upper body, plyos, core
- Saturday: interval running
- Sunday: rest
The reason we are doing interval training instead of straight running, is for two reasons: 1) running for 30 minutes straight is super boring for me 2)the Warrior Dash isn’t just straight running. Like in interval training, our heart rates will be up and down throughout the course.
Today’s workout was pretty awesome. There is one exercise that, if you can master it, it will make you feel like a total bad ass.
- Warm-up, treadmill, 10 minutes, 3.5
- Upper body exercises: 1 minute work, 1 minute rest, 2 times through
- Chest Fly, 8 lbs
- Halo w/ kettleball (while holding the kettlebell by the handle, move it around your head like a halo)
- Plyos: 10 each
- One legged burpee w/ push-up (AWESOME ALERT!)
- Frogger jump
- Plie Jump
- Box Jump
- Lateral Box Jump
- Core: 1 minute work, 1 minute rest
- Straight let flutter
- V-sit cruches
One legged burpee with push-up looks like a regular burpee, only you do it all on one leg and when you have jumped your leg back, you do a push-up. After 10, your leg will be screaming at you. In the frogger jump, you start in push-up position and jump your legs toward your hands so you look like a frog, then jump them back. With the plie jump, you start in a wide squat then jump tucking your legs so your heels come together. To modify this, you can keep your legs straight instead of tucking them. I think you guys can figure everything else out.
Good luck and happy sweating!